Monday, April 6, 2020

Pickpockets Speak Out About Coronavirus

Pickpocketing down as a result of coronavirus
Kansas City, Missouri

The economic hardship of the coronavirus is hitting the nation's pickpockets disproportionately.  Pickpocketing is now down 80%, and many pickpockets find themselves out of work, unable to apply for unemployment, and ineligible for federal stimulus money.





Cynthia Petty-Burgeler, a full-time pickpocket specializing in crowded streets at rush hour, had this to say about the crisis.  "It's getting harder and harder for me to make an honest living.  I depend on crowds of people to do my job properly.  I take pride in my work.  I have a light touch and generally pass undetected.  I can't work from home, for obvious reasons, although... I'm embarrassed to say that I've had shameful thoughts about my eleven-year-old's allowance money recently.  You see how desperate I've become!?"

Harry Crook, a public transit pickpocket, is also struggling to make ends meet.  "With so many people working from home," he complained, "there just aren't enough people on public transit for me to work effectively....I'm hard-up for cash.  For the first time in my life, I'm seriously considering shoplifting at the supermarket.  I've always thought shoplifting was beneath me, but I may just have to swallow my pride and do it."

Pickpockets cannot apply for unemployment benefits because of the illicit nature of their work, and most will not receive federal stimulus money because they have not filed tax returns.

"This is discrimination, pure and simple," said Ivana Cash, a veteran pick-pocket specializing in music festivals and other large public events.  "Our profession has always been unrecognized, unappreciated and undervalued.   People don't see that pickpockets are hard-working, highly skilled professionals that deserve their respect.  We are honorable people.  We try to raise our kids with the right values.   We have dreams, just like everybody else."

The Rotting Onion has set up a charitable fund for those who wish to donate to Pickpocket Relief Efforts.  Just call 1-800-BURGLAR and make a donation to help unemployed pickpockets make rent and bills in this difficult time.






Written by Diana Shapiro
Photo courtesy of global nomadic.com

No comments:

Post a Comment